Thursday, May 15, 2014

In the last throws of Spring...

Well, I'm 10 days post surgery so that means I must be good for an Auburn loop ehh? My Ortho said I couldn't screw this up (although it does hurt more now than it did after surgery) and that I could ride my bike pain permitting. He even knows I don't have a normal pain threshold, I'm proud to say I haven't taken so much as an Ibuprofen since I got out of surgery( of course I received yet another prescription for 75 Vicoden...?.).

It's really been a solid six weeks since I've ridden if I don't count the two days at the Arizona Trail Race. I wouldn't think that would normally translate to a lack of fitness, but I really haven't been able to do much of anything aerobic, not even walking. It all started out good, but when I made the "mental toughness drill" right turn at the top of Drivers Flat Rd for the 4 mile 2000' climb out of the middle fork the wheels started to fall off a bit. I made it home, in a respectable time even, but it wasn't pretty. Hopefully with a little more riding in the next week or two I'll find my sea legs again.

I'm hoping to toe the line at my race,  California Sierra Trail Race in a little over two months, I don't expect much, but it will be nice to get out there again.

The flowers were still pretty in the canyons, I was afraid I'd missed them in my pathetic ambulatory state, but they were still blooming on the north sides of the canyons. This weeks predicted 100 degree temps mean this was likely thew last hoorah,
Foresthill Bridge 734' above me


Lake Clementine Road
Lake Clementine Road

Tough little flowers, these all seem to grow in really rocky outcroppings

Foresthill Divide Trail
Foresthill Divide Trail

FDT

Looking down into the middle fork of the American River. The exit is just below the house on the far hill in the left of the picture.

And the slog begins...

Halfway there

I've ridden theis road hundreds of times but never noticed this great rock formation, looks like a perfect place for a mountain lion to pounce from...

McKeon Ponderosa Road

Little White Oak Flat

Little White Oak Flat
All in all a great day, a little warmer than I thought it would be and the temps will be nearing 100 degrees later this week which is pretty early for this time of year. Totals were just about 38 miles and just under 5000' of climbing, pretty happy with that only 10 days out from knee surgery, the miracle of modern medicine!

1 comment:

  1. just yesterday I was on the ponderosa road, up dryver's flat road, etc. I am training for the Tahoe Sierra 100 so I've been following your blog and efforts. Glad to hear you are on the bike path to health.

    ReplyDelete