Sunday, July 28, 2013

Donner Lake Rim Trail and Hole In the Ground ride

I'm still trying to escape the heat of the valley. Unfortunately even going to Donner Summit today gave me little relief, I think it was 90+ degrees in Truckee today and it was very hot by the end of the ride.

It's been awhile since I've ridden DLRT or HNG so it was nice to get out and ride them. DLRT was in great shape since it's seeing fairly frequent attention and additions from the Donner Lake Land Trust. HNG is beat to hell because it's managed by a government agency. I saw a few other riders out on the trail. Of course it's always a race whenever you get near Tahoe so I had guys blowing themselves up trying to get in front of me, only to pull off gasping a mile later, funny really. I suppose they all have a story, the 7 hour road ride I did in 100 degree heat the day before was certainly making life hard on me.

I made my way to the top of the DLRT and had intended to drop down into Euer Valley and go out to hwy 89 and back up through Tahoe Donner and back to the car. After dropping a bit I changed my mind and decided for a Hole in the Ground trip instead.I wandered around the Tahoe Donner trail system before finding my way back to the DLRT.

I dropped the DLRT and made my way back up the other side. HNG rolled out as usual. I passed a couple of other souls out there, but for the most part it seemed I had the place to myself.

Really nice day out there. I ran out of water for the first time in a while, made finishing up the last few miles a little painful, especially given the fact that I cooked myself the day before. I was kicking myself for forgetting the water filter.
Back side of Castle Peak

DLRT goodness

Euer Valley

Euer Valley

More DLRT goodness

Yep, still more

Castle Peak

Dropping off Andecite Ridge

Truckee down there somewhere

No comments:

Post a Comment